The online diary of a dreamer creating Contemporary Romantic Fiction - because Every Woman needs Love and Laughter in her Life.

Monday 14 January 2008

Still Editing


Overused words.

Everyone does it, and if you like me, don't realise that you are doing it until someone else reads the pages.

I use this cheatsheet * using the 'FIND' function in Word -then run the spellcheck on the text, which hopefully will pick up any horrors. Search and replace is a killer.

Some might be valid of course, but at least I have decided to keep them.

*and - but (can indicate run-on sentences)
*that (unnecessary in most sentences) instead of which, and vice versa
*that (when you mean "who")
*just
*very
*nearly - almost
*really
*seem - appear
*felt - feel
*begin - began
*would - should - could
*quite
*few
*rather
*thing
*stuff
*anyway
*because
"*ly" adverbs
*so
*then
*even
*only
*down - up (as in sit down, stand up - can be redundant)
*got - get


So you see, that is why I need all the help I can get!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Those words are far too familiar to me. Better get back to my own editing...