The online diary of a dreamer creating Contemporary Romantic Fiction - because Every Woman needs Love and Laughter in her Life.

Wednesday 27 June 2007

Time Management


Having created this blog in January, it is now time to start posting!

Ah, the joys of time management.

I am now in deep revision mode. working each of the four acts of this long contemp. rom com one at a time so it will be ready to send to the New Writers Scheme before I go to the conference next week - help ! Is it only next weekend?

Deep structure calls for focused effort and for me that means one thing.

Bring out the kitchen timer.

Maximum time = 60 minutes.

Focused writing time = 20 or 30 minute slots.

'Research has shown' that most folks can only study/revise/focus for 30 to 40 mins before the brain says enough and stops processing. This is certainly true for university students and the way my poor old brain cells work.

It also means that I get off my chair and leave the scene to day dream inside my head, while I potter/make tea/ecome a domestic goddess etc.

Back to the screen 15 mins later - and back in the zone.

I suspect I am not the only one who uses this method of 'writing to the clock/timer' and would recommend it when you need to go into the cave and scratch pictures of deers on walls with a burnt piece of stick.

Now - Earl Grey or English Breakfast?

No comments: